Submission Guidelines for Promise
Please use the following proofreading guidelines:
- Text should be in a Word document, Times New Roman 12, single-spaced.
- All photos* must include caption.
- Article must have a title and by-line of the contributor, which includes whether the contributor is an educator (grade/program taught), parent, student, or other individual, and contact information.
- Edit for correct spacing between words; Insert double space between sentences.
- Place punctuation marks inside quotation marks. Example, John said, "Gifted programs are important."
- Put commas around dates and states when they come in the middle of the sentence. Example: “On January 12, 2017, I went to Trenton, New Jersey, for a meeting.” and spell out state names.
- Insert a comma before the word “and” in a list of three or more items.
- Avoid contractions and the use of “&”. Acronyms must be spelled out at least once.
- Book titles, movies, television shows, newspapers, and magazines are italicized. “Newspaper and magazine articles” are enclosed in quotation marks. Refer to http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/titles-of-works.html if clarification is needed.
- Absolutely no embedded formatting, such as double spacing between lines or paragraphs will be accepted.
* Obtaining parental permission for publication of material about minor children is the responsibility of the person submitting the article/photo, etc. Permission for publication of material about adults is the responsibility of the person submitting the article/photo. Obtaining permission to publish/reprint material from any other source/media is the responsibility of the person submitting the article/photo.